Birthdate: 7-11-58; Hawthorne, California
Family: Wife, Debi. Daughter Mandi, and son Curtis
Residence: Los Alamitos, California
Top Career Moments:
- Won the 2007 James Smith Hcp with Sun City Bradley
- Won the California Breeders Marathon Stakes and Pat Hyland Handicap with Kash To Splash in 2004.
- Won the Los Alamitos Winter Derby with Panther Mountain in 2002.
- Won the inaugural running of the Catalina Derby with Barrys Private Jet in 2001.
- Won the $50,000 Thoroughbred Claiming Stakes for distaffers with Sweet Speed in 2000.
- Won the El Primero Del Ano Derby with Artesias Special Chic in 1998. Won the Miss -- Princess Handicap with Blushing Sixteen in 1998.
- Finished second in the Los Alamitos Million with Artesias Specialchic in 1997.
- Won four Marathon Handicaps with Brotherly (1995), Mr Diddy Wa Diddy (1993), Baychaino (1990) and Bonshinner (1987).
- Won the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship and Pomona Championship Handicap with Brotherly in 1994.
- Won the Southern California Derby with Artesias Special Gal in 1994.
Career Profile: Charles Treece became the fifth trainer in the 54-year history of Los Alamitos to win 1,000 Quarter Horse races in April of 2004. His milestone victory came courtesy of Jose Santos' Kash To Splash in an 870-yard on April 23. In the winner's circle, his family and several of his long time friends joined Treece. One person that Treece wishes would have been there is the late Shirley Loeb. Treece worked for Loeb from 1975 to 1981 at her family's ranch in Riverside. "Shirley was special," he said. "She was a great person to work with and I learned a lot of from her about Quarter Horses. I have been fortune to work with many great people like the Loebs, William Stratmore and many others." Treece started his career working as an assistant trainer for John Cooper and Charlie Bloomquist before starting his own operation in 1983. "When I first started training, (wife) Debi and I were on our own. We had three horses, and we were in the last barn facing the kitchen. We've come a long ways. It's taken a lot of hard work, but we give it all we've got."
Charles' biggest wins include the Los Alamitos Winter Derby with Panther Mountain in 2002; El Primero Del Ano Derby with Artesias Special Chic in 1998; the Los Alamitos Invitational Championship with Brotherly in 1994; and the Southern California Derby with Artesias Special Gal in 1994. Treece saddled four Marathon Handicap winners in Brotherly (1995), Mr Diddy Wa Diddy (1993), Baychaino (1990) and Bonshinner (1987). He was second in the Los Alamitos Million with Artesias Specialchic in 1997. Charles has also been one of the most successful trainers in the Los Alamitos Million, qualifying at least one horse in seven of the 10 runnings of the event. The king of Thoroughbreds at Los Alamitos, Charles has been the leading trainer in six of the 10 years that the breed has raced at the Cypress oval. Charles also sends horses to run at Hollywood Park and Santa Anita. One of Charles' favorite Thoroughbreds of all-time is the stakes winner Letthebiggatorout, who won a slew of races for the trainer at Los Alamitos. A former Quarter Horse jockey, Charles piloted four horses to victory at the Orange County oval.