EYE ON THE SKY AND FOUR KINDERGARTEN FINALISTS HEAD PROFESSOR G’S TOP 10 LIST OF JUVENILES AT LOS ALAMITOS AS OF MAY 14
Here’s my opinion of the top 10 Quarter Horse juveniles that have already raced at Los Alamitos this season. The top name is new to this list in the form of Steve Burns, Francisco Garcia, and Juan Humberto Moya’s Eye On The Sky, who lived up to his pre-race hype with a spectacular debut victory. The rankings also include four runners that will race in Sunday’s Grade 2, $297,900 Robert Adair Kindergarten Futurity led by fastest qualifier Val Frida.
Moya’s Apolitical Thunder is ranked second on the list following his allowance win on May 8 against one season’s best fields of juveniles at 300 yards. Ricardo Ramirez’s Chizum and Ed Allred’s More Than Chance, who were in the last top 10 list, retain their place eighth and ninth, respectively. Impressive filly Run By Your Cartel and big money purchase In Hott Pursuit complete the list of names on this list.
1. Eye On The Sky – Favorite Cartel gelding ran lights out in his debut and posted what has clearly been the most eye-catching victory by a juvenile this season. Making his first start, he won by 3 ½ lengths and in a time of :15.580, which would have been good enough to qualify him second fastest in the night of trials to the Grade 2 Robert Adair Kindergarten Futurity.
2. Apolitical Thunder – Colt by Apolitical Jess is a perfect two for two here with his last victory coming against a highly-regarded group of winners in the meet’s first allowance event for 2-year-olds. The rivals he defeated included Golden Boi, Griffindore and Remington Park Futurity finalist Apolitical Jeanius.
3. Run By Your Cartel – Corona Cartel filly was outstanding in her morning works, including a :12.10 clocking on April 8, and just as impressive in her debut, winning by 1 ¼ lengths in a super time of :15.58.
4. La Blue Amore – The Kiddy Up filly has been terrific in her two winning outings. After looking like a seasoned pro in her debut, she returned with an impressive ½ length win in her trial to the Robert Adair Kindergarten Futurity. She’s one of the favorites in the Kindergarten.
5. Docs Fast Lane – New Mexico-bred gelding began the meet by posting the fastest 220-yard time by a 2-year-old of the young season. He followed it by scoring an impressive come from behind victory in his Kindergarten trial, going from last at the start to first by a neck. He joins La Blue Amore, FG Jess Seis and Val Frida in the Kindergarten.
6. FG Jess Seis – Tres Seis gelding has needed to rally for both of his wins, but he’s been terrific at the end of those victories. He won his debut by 1 ¼ lengths and then came back to win his Kindergarten trial by a similar margin. He’s one of the four on this list in the Kindergarten final.
7. Val Frida – Was the surprise package on the night of the Kindergarten, posting the fastest qualifying time of :15.53 while winning by a half-length. The Stel Corona filly won a trial that include Kindergarten qualifiers Beduino Surprise and Midnite Fling.
8. Chizum – He was acquired for $150,000 at the Ruidoso Yearling Sale and by the looks of his debut, the son of Tempting Dash is worth every penny of that purchase price. He made no mistakes in his 300-yard debut, as won by two lengths last Friday night.
9. More Than Chance – His winning time of :12.107 is among the fastest of the season. Out of Elans Last, More Than Chance is half-brother to Grade 1 Ed Burke Million Futurity winner Chance To Excel.
10. In Hott Pursuit – Colt by One Famous Eagle was purchased for $220,000 as a yearling and showed his mettle by scoring a nose victory over a tough rival in Corona Yo. He’s a full brother to champion and Grade 1 All American Derby winner Hotstepper and a half-brother to the Grade 1 Ruidoso Derby winner Hotsempting.
Others to watch: Southern Best, Beduino Surprise, Resurrection Man, Fire Fast Honey, Midnite Fling, New And Better, Jess Hez On Fire, Corona Yo, Up The Ladder, A Painted Legacy, Griffindore, Golden Boi, Majority Interest, Cactus Jack, Quarrelsome, Need A Favor, Set For It, Watch Out, Dasha Good Reason, Good Reason To Run, Hitters Count, Nevada Charles, Reynas Y Corona, Fast Thru Fire, She Goes Up and Blues Girl Favorite.